WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Monday, December 29, 2014

Chicken pot pie

Love this chicken pot pie
New recipe for a family favorite dish




Chicken pot pie has long been a favorite menu item at my house. It’s comfort food at it’s best!

I have several recipes I turn to, depending on my mood! One favorite recipe is made with a buttery biscuit mix topping. Another is baked inside a frozen pie crust with another crust on top.

My daughter, Anna, requests pot pie often.

At a recent church dinner, I tried yet another chicken pot pie recipe. This one was made by church member Jean Lemmons. I added a serving of her pot pie (guess you could call it a chicken pan pie!) to my plate, ate it quickly and went back for more.

It was very good, with just the right combination of peas and carrots. She also added diced potatoes. I loved the potatoes and knew Anna would as well.

After the meal was over and we were cleaning up, I told Miss Jean how much I enjoyed the pie and asked if I could take a serving home to Anna. She encouraged me get some, and, as predicted, Anna loved it and wished I had gotten more!

I didn’t waste any time calling Miss Jean and getting the recipe. It turns out that her mother, the late Ethel Brame, used to make this recipe. She told me, over the phone, how she makes it and I jotted down instructions.

I was very thrilled to learn she used a refrigerated pie crust for the recipe instead of making one from scratch. I do not make my own pie crusts!

The recipe is very simple to make. The only time-consuming part is cooking the chicken and making the broth, which you could do the day before. And you could certainly use canned chicken or rotisserie chicken and canned broth to make it even easier.

I made my pot pie in a large casserole dish. The round pie crust didn’t fit, of course, so I just trimmed off the edges that were too long and used those pieces to make a full crust for the top and bottom.

I’ve made this pie twice already and know I’ll be making it again soon. I’m sure it would be delicious with turkey leftovers next week!

lisa@wilsontimes.com | 265-7810

Chicken Pot Pie

5 cups chicken broth

1 cup diced carrots

2 cups diced potatoes

1⁄2 cup Le Sueur sweet peas, drained

1 can (10.75 ounces) cream of mushroom soup (I use reduced fat and reduced sodium)

Pepper to taste

2 cups diced chicken

2 teaspoons cornstarch

2 refrigerated pie crusts

Pour broth (either homemade or canned) into a large pot and bring to a boil. Add carrots and potatoes and cook until tender. Add in peas and can of soup.

In a bowl, mix about 1⁄4 cup broth with the cornstarch and add back into the pot to thicken. Stir in chicken, and add pepper to taste.

Place pie crust into bottom of large rectangular glass baking dish. Cut sides to fit and use what you have cut to cover bottom of dish. Use your fingers to pinch the dough together.

Pour in filling. The dish will be very full. Add top crust and repeat as with bottom crust to fit.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes until browned on top and bubbly.

Jean Lemmons


1 comment: