WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

slow cooker roast


Click image to enlarge
1 of 1

Slow cooker pork roast 
Be sure to make plenty for leftovers

 


So many slow cooker recipes start with these basic steps: Brown meat, place in slow cooker, cover with a sauce and cook on low. 

I’ve done this many times with different cuts of beef over the years, but not so much with pork. There was a pork chop recipe (in fact, it was the first recipe I put in my food column), but I haven’t made that in years. 

Last Christmas, my sister gave me a subscription to Allrecipes magazine. I’ve loved the magazine and have made a number of recipes, including one for pork ribs that simmer in the slow cooker. We loved that recipe and have made it several times. We liked it so much that I decided to try a slightly different version and use a pork roast. 

I bought a pork loin rib roast, about 2 to 21/2 pounds, for my cooking experiment. After adding salt and pepper, I cooked it in the oven on high heat for 10 minutes on each side. This gave the roast a nice color and cooked edges that ended up being my favorite part of the meal! 

Once the roast was browned, I placed it in the slow cooker and covered it with a delicious sauce. The barbecue sauce I made is a cross between one my son used to make years ago when he was helping me cook and the Allrecipes version. 

At first, I was worried that I had added too much sauce to this roast because it almost covered it. But I was glad to have the barbecue sauce for the leftovers we used the next few days. If you didn’t want to make your own sauce, I’m sure the recipe would be delicious with a favorite bottled sauce as well. 

I cooked the roast on high for about an hour before turning it to low and letting it cook for another 5 or 6 hours. The house smelled so good! 

I made cubed potatoes, just like Mama used to make, and a pot of field peas, and my husband and I feasted on our delicious comfort food meal. 

The next day, I made sandwiches for us. Instead of shredding the meat, I was able to cut it in thin slices. I put the meat in sandwich rolls and poured sauce on top. It was so good! I’m always thinking ahead when I cook and try to make enough for leftovers! 

Slow Cooker Barbecue Pork Roast 
Pork loin rib end roast, (mine was around 21/2 pounds) 

Salt and pepper to taste 

Barbecue sauce: 

12 oz. bottle chili sauce (look for it with the ketchup at the grocery store) 

1 cup ketchup 

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar 

2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce 

1/2 cup brown sugar 

Salt and pepper to taste 


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Salt and pepper roast and place on baking pan lined with foil (for easy clean up). Cook 10 minutes on each side to brown. 

While the roast cooks, mix the sauce ingredients. 

Place roast in slow cooker and pour sauce over top. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. If you are home, you can cook on high for the first hour and cut the cooking time a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment