WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Monday, July 21, 2014

zucchini muffins


Zucchini season
Add some green to your muffins


We were thrilled to find a box of zucchini, squash and broccoli under our carport last week. It was a welcomed gift from my brother-in-law and his wife.

Fresh produce is one of the wonderful things about summer, I think, and we didn’t want to waste anything they sent.

So last week we had fried zucchini, pan roasted vegetables and zucchini muffins.

I have made zucchini bread before but never muffins. I knew I wanted spices similar to what I put in pumpkin muffins and opted not to add golden raisins because I knew they wouldn’t be appreciated by half my family!

I read many recipes before choosing how I wanted to make my muffins, deciding to use a little bit of ground cloves, for instance, and opting to add in both brown sugar and granulated sugar.

It only takes a few minutes to mix up these muffins, especially if someone grates the zucchini for you. (Thanks Anna!) Before popping the muffins into the oven, I sprinkled some cinnamon sugar on top for extra flavor and a little crunch.

The muffins smelled very good as they baked, with the scent of allspice, cinnamon and cloves making my mouth water.

I couldn’t wait to try my muffins when they came out of the oven and ate one while it was hot enough to burn my mouth. I’m not a patient person. I was rewarded with a delicious treat with flavors I really enjoy.

I love how a tiny bit of green peeks through the muffins, but I was afraid it would keep my 5-year-old granddaughter from trying them. I was wrong. I’m not sure if she just didn’t see the green or was too distracted to ask, but she eagerly ate the entire muffin, which I called a spice muffin in front of her. Don’t judge me. It did have spices in it!

I liked the muffins best the first day. They weren’t as moist the second day but might have been if I had popped them in the microwave briefly.

lisa@wilsontimes.com | 265-7810

Zucchini Muffins 


3 cups grated fresh zucchini

1 stick melted butter

1⁄2 cup granulated sugar

1⁄2 cup brown sugar

2 eggs, beaten

2 teaspoons vanilla

3 cups self-rising flour

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves

1⁄4 teaspoon allspice

Cinnamon sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine the sugars, eggs and vanilla with a spoon and stir in grated zucchini and butter. Mix in flour, cinnamon, ground cloves and allspice until combined; don’t over mix.

Spoon into muffin cups prepared with baking spray; sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool.

Makes 12 to 18 muffins depending on size of muffin cups. (Mine made 18.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment