WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Cookies in your cupcake!



Oreos are a favorite cookie at my house. Since I was young, I’ve enjoyed the sweet treat with a glass of milk and in recent years have become quite fond of Oreo milkshakes. I’ve always loved making them at home for my kids, combining frozen yogurt and skim milk with the crushed cookies and trying not to feel guilty when I make one for myself as well.

What is it about that combination of cookie and cream that’s so yummy?

For the last year or so, I’ve wanted to make Oreo cupcakes but didn’t get around to it until two weeks ago. I wanted to make something new for a family dinner we were invited to and decided to try a cupcake recipe.

I’ve read many versions of Oreo cupcakes, and there are any number of ways you can make them. Some have cream inserted in the middle, others have chocolate frosting sprinkled with cookie crumbs. Some use a variety of chocolate cake mixes, others use yellow. Some bakers place a whole cookie inside the filled cupcake holder (vertical) before baking

For my cupcakes, I chose milk chocolate cake mix made with Oreo pudding. I put half of an Oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner before filing with batter. I frosted my cupcakes with a can of whipped vanilla frosting mixed with Oreo cookie crumbs. They were so yummy! In fact, I made them again the next day to take to our church Bible school kickoff.

I especially liked the cookie at the bottom of the cupcake. When you remove the cupcake from the liner, you see the firm cookie at the bottom, and it adds a nice crunch to the cupcake, I think. I also like the cookie crumbs that are already in the Oreo pudding. But if you can’t find the Oreo pudding, plain vanilla should work fine or just make the cupcakes by the package instructions and omit the pudding altogether.

These cupcakes were a real treat. They would also be fun to make with seasonal Oreos that have colorful filling.

I feel sure I’ll be making this recipe again!


Oreo Cupcakes
  • 1 box milk chocolate cake mix
  • 1 package (4-serving size) instant Oreo pudding mix (I had to buy the larger size and divide it)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup milk (I used skim)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • Oreo cookies (or another brand of chocolate sandwich cookies)
  • Can of vanilla frosting

Fill two 12-count muffin pans with cupcake liners and place one half of an Oreo into each liner. Leave the filling on the cookies.

Pour cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, milk and oil in a bowl and mix for 2 minutes with electric mixer. Divide batter between muffin cups. Bake according to cake mix box directions.

While the cupcakes cook, crumble 6-8 cookies with your hands, a chopper or in food processor to make coarse crumbles. Place frosting in a bowl and mix in cookie crumbs.

Once cupcakes have cooked and cooled, add frosting and top with more cookie crumbs if desired.

2 comments:

  1. It's a really amazing blog thank you so much author for sharing this kind of amazing content. I'm also very happy that you have shared an amazing recipe for cupcake. But you can also try some dessert and one of them baklava is the best one. And you'll get this through online very easily.

    ReplyDelete