WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Easy sweet and sour meatballs



This recipe falls under the easy category.

I made slow cooker sweet and sour meatballs Friday night and was pleased with how they turned out.

The preparation is as easy as it gets. All you need to do is mix up the ingredients for the glaze, cut up a green pepper and pour the ingredients in a slow cooker.

I was careful to thoroughly blend the glaze ingredients to incorporate the corn starch, but that didn’t take but a few minutes.

I put together the recipe at lunch. When I walked in after work, the house smelled so good. I love the smell of pineapple! The meatballs were ready to eat at suppertime.

I served the meatballs with rice.

For this recipe, I chose turkey meatballs. Sometimes I make my own meatballs, but this time I purchased frozen meatballs.

We liked the recipe, especially the glaze, and I plan to make it again.


Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs
  • 24 to 28 ounces of frozen meatballs (I use turkey meatballs)
  • 1/3 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup but will add a little more next time)
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce (or to taste)
  • 1 16 oz. can pineapple chunks in natural syrup, undrained
  • 1 large or 2 medium green peppers, cut in bite-size chunks
Pour meatballs into slow cooker (I use a liner.) No need to defrost.

In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, brown sugar, cornstarch and soy sauce until smooth. Add in pineapple juice drained from can of pineapple (reserving the pineapple) and whisk until incorporated.

Add green pepper and pineapple chunks to slow cooker, then pour pineapple juice mixture over top.

Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.

2 comments: