WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Add some herbs for easy rolls



If you’re cooking the Thanksgiving meal tomorrow, you probably already have your menu planned, your groceries tucked away and maybe even a casserole or two chilling in the refrigerator.

In case you don’t have your dinner rolls purchased yet, I have a simple recipe you can make on Thanksgiving Day, or any day for that matter.

With frozen dough for rolls, you can customize tasty herb rolls that not only smell wonderful but also taste wonderful! But you must get started early to allow enough time for the rolls to defrost and then rise.

There's a herb roll recipe that I’ve made many times over the years that combines several herbs in the yeasty dough. The rolls smell wonderful as they rise and then bake. I remembered that smell and used three herbs for my easy herb rolls.

For my pan of 11 rolls, I simply melted two tablespoons of butter and then mixed in 1/2 teaspoon each of rosemary, thyme and oregano. Then, with a pastry brush, I brushed herb butter on the risen rolls and baked them.

The rolls were delicious! I've made them three times in the last few weeks and will make them again soon, I’m sure.

Editor's Note: There's been some confusion over an ingredient in last week's food column. For Dameron's Cranberry Salad, I used one large (6-oz.) box of strawberry Jell-O.


Easy Herb Rolls
  • 10-12 frozen dinner rolls (Not ready-to bake; I used Rhodes brand.)
  • 2 tablespoons butter (plus more to prepare baking dish)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Take rolls from freezer and place in baking dish that has been prepared with butter; leave enough room between rolls to allow space to rise. Follow package directions for rising.

Melt butter and mix in herbs.

Once rolls have risen (about 5 hours), brush on herb butter, making sure to brush butter between rolls as much as you can and around the sides to coat.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment