WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Season's sweet fruits



I made a trip to the Downtown Farmers Market last week and came home with tender green beans that were picked the evening before, a delicious cucumber and a beautiful ripe tomato.

I also was handed a number of recipes by N.C. Cooperative Extension agent Candace Murray, who was at the market promoting North Carolina blueberries. I didn’t hesitate to bring home the recipes, and on Sunday night, made a blueberry and peach cobbler from one of the handouts. The recipe is from The Produce Lady, an Extension program that provides all sorts of information to North Carolinians to encourage them to buy and eat more North Carolina fruits and vegetables.

The recipe I tried was peach and berry crisp. I was unable to find what I consider to be good peaches Sunday afternoon. My sister, who lives in South Carolina, has forever spoiled me with the wonderful, freshly-picked peaches she brings when she visited. The tiny peaches I bought were far from juicy and didn’t yield the six cups called for in the recipe, but I used what I had as well as the two cups of blueberries. The fruit filled my stone pie plate, and my family ate every bit of the cobbler!

It wasn’t as sweet as cobblers I usually make, so if you like your cobblers sweet, you might want to bump up the amount of sugar in this. But we decided the tartness was also part of the appeal of this beautiful and delicious dessert.

I love blueberries and peaches both and will certainly make more cobblers this season. I’ll also be making muffins every chance I get. The fruit season seems so short; we might as well enjoy it to the fullest!

Visit theproducelady.org for videos, columns, recipes and a blog. The recipes are arranged by main ingredient, so if corn’s in season, for instance, you can easily search for new corn recipes to feed your family.


Peach and Berry Crisp
  • 6 cups fresh or frozen sliced peaches, peeled and drained
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
  • 4 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (divided)
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 4 tablespoon flour
  • 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine peaches and berries* in an ungreased 11-inch x 7-inch baking pan. Mix sugar, nutmeg and half of the cinnamon in a small bowl, sprinkle over fruit and stir gently. Mix oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, butter and remaining cinnamon together and spread over fruit. Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes. Serves 8.

* I used fresh blueberries and also cooked the crisp in a large pie pan.

The Produce Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment