WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Strawberry cake so easy!



I got a call last week from Anne Sharpe, a loyal reader of my food column.

Anne had guests to cook for, and she wondered what I thought of a recipe idea she and her daughter had. Anne had made two-ingredient angel food pineapple cake some weeks back, and she wanted to try it with strawberries. She asked my opinion.

I told her to please try it and let me know the outcome. I wondered that night how the cake had turned out. I was so pleased when she called the next day with the results. The cake was delicious and a hit with her guests!

I couldn’t wait to make my cake and went home at lunch Friday and mixed it up.

Anne used a 15 oz. package of thawed frozen strawberries for her cake and added in a few fresh berries. I had a lot of strawberries in my refrigerator from a visit to a local strawberry farm earlier in the week, so I used fresh. I sliced enough berries to equal two cups. I poured them in a bowl and sprinkled about 1⁄8 cup of sugar over them, then mixed them up and let them sit. An hour later, there was plenty of gorgeous red juice with the fresh berries.

Using my mixer, I blended the berries and juice with an angel food cake mix. There were no other ingredients. I mixed for about two minutes and watched as the batter rose and expanded and turned a beautiful shade of pink!

The cake rose even more as it baked, but it did fall some once it cooled. I didn’t wait for it to cool before I tried it, though! It’s really good. Really, really good. I like it even better than the pineapple!

That night, I cut up more fresh strawberries and sprinkled them on top of individual servings, then put a dollop of low-fat whipped topping on for good measure. The dessert was a big hit with my family. We ate it with the berries and topping this weekend as well as without the toppings. It’s delicious both ways.

When I ran that first angel food cake recipe, I know there was a run on the grocery stores for angel food cake mix. I hope everyone has a mix in their pantry or can find a mix on the shelves because this cake is delicious and the perfect way to use those wonderful Wilson County strawberries!


Strawberry Angel Food Cake
  • Angel food cake mix
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries
  • 1/8 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Slice strawberries to measure 2 cups. Add 1/8 cup sugar and stir to blend. Let sit at room temperature for about an hour until juice has formed.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, mix cake mix with strawberries and juice for 2 minutes. Do not add any other ingredients.

I baked mine in a 13X9-inch dish, which I had prepared with cooking spray.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Cake can be served without topping or with fresh strawberries and whipped topping.

*The pineapple cake is basically the same. Instead of strawberries, add a can of crushed pineapple in its own juice (my readers have used both the 15.5 and 20 oz. sizes). Do not add extra sugar.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that's a really delicious strawberry cake. Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, angel food cake has to be turned upside down until it cools after it bakes to stop it from falling but if it didn't fall to much in the 13 X 9 pan great!!

    ReplyDelete