WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Peanut Butter Cheerios

Last week, my son and I went grocery shopping for "essentials" he needs back at college this semester: Chef Boyardee Ravioli, kettle chips, Snickers, Gatorade that's a sickening shade of blue. In our shopping, I saw that Cheerios has a new flavor— peanut butter. I do love peanut butter, and I also love Cheerios, so I bought a box and tried them as soon as I got home. I loved them dry and started thinking of how I could use them in a favorite recipe I make that's sort of like Rice Krispies treats.
Then it hit me. If Cheerios is making a peanut butter product, does that mean their other products will now carry a peanut allergy warning? I know that's happened with other products.
I have a teenage niece who has a peanut allergy. I know she's eaten her fair share of Cheerios because it's always been a safe food. Whenever they come for a long visit, her mom buys a fresh box for Jillian to eat while she was here.
I sort of panicked. What if Susan bought the Cheerios for Jillian and didn't see a warning on the label?
I had to know, so I went straight to the source. After some back and forth, I got this answer from the General Mills folks:
"Multi Grain Cheerios Peanut Butter contains peanuts. Cheerios has a commitment to allergen management. We can say with complete confidence that Multi Grain Peanut Butter Cheerios will not cross-contaminate other Cheerios varieties.
"Currently, Honey Nut Cheerios, Banana Nut Cheerios, and Oat Cluster Cheerios Crunch contain almond. Only Multi Grain Cheerios Peanut Butter contains peanuts.
"All other varieties, including original Cheerios, Multi Grain Cheerios, Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, Chocolate Cheerios, Cinnamon Burst Cheerios, Frosted Cheerios, Fruity Cheerios, and Yogurt Burst Cheerios, do not contain nuts."
I'm so pleased with this answer and wanted to share it with any of you who love someone with a peanut allergy!

No comments:

Post a Comment