WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ham leftovers?



I’m sure some of my readers have some leftover Easter ham in the refrigerator. And if that’s the case, I’ve got an easy recipe for you to try.

I often use my ham leftovers for omelets, ham and cheese muffins or even a ham and veggie pie I shared in my food column last year.

But I’ve also made ham and cheddar biscuits several times since I discovered the recipe last spring. The recipe is so easy, starting with a biscuit baking mix.

I mixed up these biscuits before my oven had preheated last week, using packaged diced ham and shredded cheese. But even if you have to dice and shred yourself, you can put this recipe together in just a few minutes.

The first few times I made the biscuits last year, my family ate them up so fast I had to make a second recipe.

When I made them again last week, I made a few changes to make the biscuits a little more moist. I liked the change. My son and I ate them for lunch the first day, along with some fruit, and the next morning, I warmed one in the microwave for 10 seconds and enjoyed it for breakfast.

And if you like to think ahead, make enough to freeze for later use.


Ham and Cheese Biscuits
  • 2 1/4 cups biscuit baking mix (I used reduced fat Bisquick)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup diced, cooked ham
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix baking mix with milk to form dough. Stir in cheese and ham.

If you want smaller biscuits, drop by tablespoonsful on prepared baking sheet. I wanted bigger biscuits and used my muffin scoop.

Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Reheat for 10 seconds each in microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment