WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Season for soup




I love soup season.

I cook soup all year, but it's the cool days of fall and the cold days of winter when I really love the comfort that a pot of soup brings to my kitchen and my soul.

Although I have plenty of go-to soup recipes that my family requests, I also try new recipes.

A few weeks ago, when the temperature cooled down, I pulled out a recipe I wanted to try and started experimenting. The result was a delicious hamburger soup packed with vegetables and rice.

It was yummy.

This is one of those recipes you can easily put your stamp on, especially with your choice of vegetables.

I used onions, canned tomatoes, carrots, butter beans, garden peas and corn. The butter beans were frozen, the carrots were fresh, and the rest were canned.

You can also use brown rice, long grain rice or wild rice.

The original recipe suggested potatoes, but I didn't want both potatoes and rice in the soup, so I chose rice only.

If you like garlic, add that to the ground beef while it's cooking. A little oregano would probably be good as well.

I love the extra flavor the Worchestershire sauce added, so don't miss that. I also decided at the last minute to squirt in some ketchup. I remembered how Mama would sometimes add ketchup to her soup and always to her Brunswick stew. It added an extra zest, I think.

This is an easy soup to make and certainly a good way to warm up the family this fall.


Hamburger Vegetable Soup with Rice
  • 1 pound reduced fat ground beef
  • Ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
  • 3/4 to 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup butter beans
  • 8 1/2 oz. can garden peas, drained
  • 8 1/2 oz. can corn, drained
  • Two 14 oz. cans reduced sodium beef broth
  • 3-4 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
Brown ground beef, seasoned with pepper, and drain fat. Pour into large soup pot and add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and rice is cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment