WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Squash and more squash

My brother-in-law, Billy, brought us some squash this week. Not just a few, mind you, but a bushel basket full of yellow summer squash and brilliant green zucchini. I was quite overwhelmed!
I brought some to work to share with my co-workers, I froze some and a made a most delicious squash casserole for Tuesday night's summer.
Have you noticed how many different recipes there are for squash casserole? I looked through some church cookbooks here at the office and browsed online recipes on allrecipes.com and myrecipes.com, where you'll find Southern Living recipes. Some are very similar, using sour cream, mayonnaise or cream of chicken soup as a binder. Some mix in crushed Ritz crackers and also use them as a topping. Many recipes use eggs, including the one I almost made at allrecipes. But I decided to improvise, remembering how I had made squash casseroles before. In the end, I think most of them taste the same.
I mixed the yellow squash and zucchini and opted not to use carrots as I've done many times before.
Reggie and I loved the casserole last night; I can't wait to get home for my lunch leftovers.
Here's my recipe if you want to try it. And, yes, I've written it down this time so when I pull out the squash we froze last night, I'll know just how to prepare my casserole.

Squash Casserole
6 medium yellow squash
2 medium zucchinis
Chopped onion (to taste)
1 can low-fat, low-sodium cream of chicken soup
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 cup cheddar cheese or a cheddar blend
Salt to taste
About a handful of Pepperidge Farm stuffing
Cook squash and onion in lightly salted water until tender. Drain, but don't mash. Mix squash with soup, sour cream, cheese and salt. Top with stuffing.
Bake at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment